The Meek

"Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth."(Mat 5:5)

Which earth, Holy Mother ? I am sure you guided me to this famous statement with a definite purpose. Which Earth indeed. Surely not this, the third planet of the sun. Many are the meek who were killed just for trying to hang on to whatever little bit of land their family lived on.

It has to be some other earth. May be some other planet of some other sun or maybe even some other galaxy or maybe even some other universe.

I am not being cynical, Mother.

But can it be the Kingdom of Heaven ? The phrases in Mat 5 leave me baffled. I am sure there are profound clues masked by the simplicity of the language.

Or,Mother, have I misunderstood the meaning of the word meek ? What does meek mean ? Who is meek. Was your son meek ?

Blessed, Meek, Inherit, Earth.

Haunting words, apparently transparent and simple, yet so elusive.

Inherit !

Maybe that is the word I should try to understand. What does inherit mean ? How does one inherit ?One inherits from relatives-usually the parents. Is that what it means ? That the meek shall inherit the kingdom of your son's Father ?

Isn't that what the Psalm (82:6) says. "You are Gods and all of you are children of the Most High" . Children inherit. The true children are meek. They inherit, not this tangible earth which must perish with cosmic inevitability, but that which is of the Most High.

Is that why Matthew elaborates on the Kingdom of Heaven ? "Because it has been given to you to know the mysteries of the Kingdom of Heaven, but to them it has not been given." (Mat 13:11). Who is 'you' and who are 'they' ? The apostles and the multitudes?

I don't think it is that simple. Mother guide me through this maze. I need to know the true meaning of the parables on the Kingdom of God. (Mat 13:24-50)

"Thy kingdom come." (Mat 6:10)

Countless billions over the millenia have prayed thus without truly understanding the kingdom all have prayed for. Mother, I do not pretend to understand your Son or His Father. But I am sure you set me off after "the meek" with a definite purpose. And I am sure your silence after you forced me to move my mind has a meaning. Your smile and your silence mean as much to me as the words you speak to me.

Now you want me to try to understand the message "thy kingdom come". For it follows closely the reference to the inheritance of the meek.

"The kingdom of God does not come with observation. For indeed the Kingdom of God is within you." (Luke 17:20-21).

Is this what meek means. Those who realise that they inherit that which is in them and that which is in them only ? And not an afterlife of lazy luxury. Is that why HE warned - "Dust you are. Unto dust shall you return" (Genesis 3:19).
And dust is earth.

Mother. You are my guide, the guardian of the treasures of eternal wisdom. Guide me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Resurrection.

The word came and dwelt among us

The Lost Sheep